Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Second day in France

Wow, what a day. It is actually taking some thought to write and think in English with which I am incredibly pleased. Today was exploration day. Yesterday wasn't much to miss except the miracle that I made it to the Peaud residence without a problem as I was almost certain my lack of language skills would make my experience not unlike some member of the Griswald family from the National Lampoon "Vacation" movies. To my surprise (though maybe I shouldn't be), almost everything was bilingual! I was hearing and reading so much English in the absence of French, it was more of a chore to switch into "French mode" when suddenly some official person started speaking to me in French.

The Peaud family has been very welcoming and patient with me. Already, I can feel more confident talking and comprehending them. No English here to distract me....well except this computer! It is most bizarre and fun liking in a house that is so compact and efficient with space to what I am used to. I use the word compact here and not small. There is not a feeling of claustrophobia, just a style of living that makes my American one seem excessive.

Exploring the city of Angers, I began by getting lost...very, very lost. BUT the good thing is that I ended up learning more about the city and can now navigate the main city quite well. It also gave a wonderful opportunity to talk to a lot of random French people who are not really rude at all in Angers. It must truly be an international city because they thought my communication was all the more charming when they learned I was a foreign student at UCO and a few wished me luck on my French studies.
Possibly the climax of my day was lunch. The French scedule has made it almost vacation-like to me. Almost nothing opens until 9 to 10-ish and lunch really DOES take about two hours or a little more. SO LUXERIOUS! So here is the creperie I went to where I totally forgot to photograph my galette before eating it. I can assure you though it was warm and perfect for a brisk day and since I ordered from the prix fixe menu, I had a crepe chocolat as well. The end was a petit cup of coffee with sugar and chocolate, something I have come to learn is typical here. Well, I can't complain!

I can use as many of these pleasant days as possible.

6 comments:

  1. Aunt Helen (hsilvismiller@gmail.com)Tuesday, February 02, 2010

    Liz, thanks for the blog address! I love what you write and also love the photos... more of each would be great as you have time. It is interesting to hear about what seems unusual to you, what surprises you... like struggling to think/ write in English after so short an immersion period. Keep it comin'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your lunch sounds like sunday dinner with your parents. :) Glad things are going good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz, j'espere que tu t'amuse bien en Angers. Il me manque BEAUCOUP! je suis tres heureuse que tout va bien pour toi. comment etaitent les francais? en paris? en angers? lorsque j'etait la, mon appartement etait entre le cathedrale st. maurice et la fontaine, est-ce que tu as le vue encore? le cercle francais tu manque beaucoup! je suis heureuse que tu as eu un bon voyage et bon chance avec tout!!!

    Kaylee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Liz, welcome to europe! If you email me a phone number (land line) then we can keep in touch that way. I just added an international calling flatrate to my phone service. France is included. (USA, too.) Lots of love and enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.... but not too much or you might end up dumping college and staying on in europe like me. ;-) Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blogs are going to be extremly interesting! Keep up the wonderful work of describing your adventures. The photos are great! At home last night, Paul asked if you had posted anything on your blog...I handed him a print out. He was thrilled to read it. This from someone who does not use a computer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The photos are supporting your stories beautifully! Keep up the blog! I like your personal stories and seeing France through your eyes. The food...the cafe...great!

    ReplyDelete

Angers, France

Angers, France

About Me

My photo
For this moment in time, I'll just share a quote from Nelson Mandela. I think it sums up what I'm experiencing right now. "If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart."