Monday, February 15, 2010

What a Food-Filled Valentine's Day!

Ah, I just woke up after spending the whole day with the Peaud family as we visited Monsieur's entire family. In summary, my end-of-the-day reaction was a sore stomach and a sore head but in a good way.

We didn't start the day until 11:00 AM and first traveled to this little White Hall-equivalent French town, called Bressuire, deep in the Loire Valley French countryside. Like about any well-established town in the Loire Valley it would seem, this one, too, had its own chateau. It was interesting to look at as the exterior walls were obviously from the violent Middle Ages but tucked inside was a typical fancy Renaissance chateau built much later.

Living in Bressuire, is Monsieur's little brother, his brother's wife, and their three girls. The two oldest are in college. One is studying Chemistry and the other is studying Physics. Both parents are mathematical as well being both teachers in the Sciences and Maths. Dinner parties (or in this case, lunch parties) last hours at the table here truly. We sat down at 12:30 and didn't get up for a customary stroll though the town until about 5:00. About midway through my head was throbbing already. The way families communicate has proven to be the hardest for me to listen to and comprehend. Almost all grammar and especially vocabulary is in the familiar style. Then there is also the subject matter which can also be hard to follow even in an English setting thanks to the power of the inside joke.

I was apparently quite the pleasant and exotic presence at the table. I was exotique because I'm a foreigner and when I came to France, one of the first things I learned was that the French almost never step outside of their own country, even to go to Switzerland or Belgium. Hence, they find anything outside of their own world to be a big deal. I was pleasant (or at least I think I was pleasant) because I was one of the very few Americans they had met who was willing to only communicate in French. I was incredbly flattered when Monsieur introduced me as their American student this semester and that I prefer speaking French and do it rather well. I felt myself get red in the face and sputtered out a merci and disclaimer that I still had a ways to go in my French skills.

I have been slowly learning that the Americans and the British are known for their firm insistence on speaking English. This seems to be a point of insult to the French. Monsieur's brother and I discussed French chateaus during the post-lunch stroll and he explained the common trend for the British to buy French chateaus and stay their during their vacation time because to buy a house like that in England by comparison is ridiculously expensive. However, he said, they also only buy chateaus that are close to other British-owned chateaus so their are whole communities of British people throughout France but they have no wish to interact or participate in French life or with the French people.

Later, I asked why the French do not often travel outside of their country. I pointed out that I have traveled only in my country before just now but the United States in gigantic and it is common for Americans to also travel to Canada and Mexico as well. The idea of exploring only a country the size of Texas all my life strikes me as rather claustrophobic in comparison. They were very happy to respond, saying they France has many diverse regions to visit and also an incredibly rich culture with world-class museums and chateaus and made many suggestions as to where I should visit in the next few months which was very, very useful. They however also expressed sympathy for me in that the United States isn't so complex in its culture and all we have are the exceptional landforms and New York City. This was the only point of insult that I've so far experienced though I don't think it was intended to be insulting at all. Then they explained that there is also a language barrier to consider. EVERYWHERE, they emphasized, people speak English but not French. I can go anywhere they said and have no problem. As for them, they don't even like the idea of going to Switzerland, Quebec, or Belgium because even though they speak French, there are dialect differences.

As a side note for all the Germans out there, it amazes the French how much English the German people can speak and that it is so easy for them to communicate in it. I'm not sure what to think of that or what you think of that. I'd already let it slip earlier that I was related to some Germans.... so they looked to me for so sort of affirmation. I had to say of course that I did know some Germans who spoke amazing English. I felt too awkward with their incredibly confident opinion to mention that these same Germans are also dual citizens to Germany AND the United States. Yah, their English is superb. Having American mothers does that to a German kid.

But, hey, in summary it was truly a wonderful time. I will probably be back with part two of yesterday because my day wasn't done at all after that lunch. Next was round two with Monsieur's parents and sister where I got a taste of what is considered French rural life.

3 comments:

  1. This is your mother's oldest sister writing. I have been trying to figure out how to post a comment. If I had a password, I've forgotten it. I want you to know that I am reading your blog and enjoying every word of it. Keep writing, and know that I'll keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How interesting to learn how the French perceive the culture, languages and people of other countries. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your experience with the extended Peaud family and anxiously await "part II." The struggles you experienced in understanding the familiar language used among family and close friends is so normal. It will be a test of your progress if you get to return to such a family gathering again and notice improvement in your receptive skills! Did you take any pictures of the countryside or family? I'd love to see some pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aunt Carole is remembering that Rolf's French sounded very authentic (neither "German" nor "English" in accent). Of course he spent several years after "the war" (WWII) as a grade school student in Paris. No doubt that helped. I remember he lacked some technical vocabulary that he needed during our summer vacation at Roxanne's house in le Bar sur Loup. So, Rolf took an enormous desktop French/English dictionary from the house to the "hardware" store, where he carried on a conversation (in French) about the parts and tools he would need to do a particular do-it-yourself job. Later, he told me they were very friendly and helpful to him. Perhaps they appreciated (and were amused by) his effort.

    ReplyDelete

Angers, France

Angers, France

About Me

My photo
For this moment in time, I'll just share a quote from Nelson Mandela. I think it sums up what I'm experiencing right now. "If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart."