Friday, February 12, 2010

First Big Girl French Book

Quick Post! Just excited that we're starting with poetry by Apollinaire in his folio, Alcools. Very melancholic but beautiful. I'dh eard about him before but hadn't read any of his poetry in French. Of course, WAY BETTER in French though a challenge to read for someone at my level. My first poem to conquer this weekend is "Le Pont Mirabeau" which is about lost love. Really? Lost love as a theme to study over Valentine's Day weekend? Oh, well. Lost love can be beautiful in its own way, too, I suppose.

3 comments:

  1. Why is the title and everything backwards? Is that just something that the publisher did or is it something that is "normal" in France? Dont worry, I'm sure you'll make it throught it just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nay, it was just using the computer's camera cause it was convenient that way. Yep, a little weird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe we read Le Pont Mirabeau when I was in a French class here with Madame Faulkner. Then we looked at various translations. And poetry doesn't really work that well translated.

    Sara

    ReplyDelete

Angers, France

Angers, France

About Me

My photo
For this moment in time, I'll just share a quote from Nelson Mandela. I think it sums up what I'm experiencing right now. "If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart."