Thursday, February 11, 2010

Goodness, a lot has been on my mind this week. Good news! I read the school guidelines and Oral Expression classes have no minimum student requirements, just a maximum which I believe is in the 12 to 15 range. The last time I looked at the list yesterday we were at five which seems like a really good number to me. I have so many good choices but only the time and sanity for a limited amount. It turns out the French-English translation class professor is a friend of Monsieur Peaud. Darn, because it sounds like he would have been good. A Japanese student told me that the class was hard but worth it because of how much one has to learn. However, concerning my specific situation and place in my studies, I am content with my choices.

So....I'm taking Oral Expression, Social Economics of France, French Art History, French Literature of the 20th century, and finally my general language class. That's my final decision and there will definatley be work but I don't care. I'll do it all happily if it means I'll be learning more and more about French. Being among the French has really encouraged me to want to work my butt off to become fluent. One day....

Well, in the meantime, this Sunday is Valentine's Day or here as they call it, Le jour de la Saint-Valentin. I have absolutely NO IDEA what I'll be doing. Probably homework. The day before on Saturday I've been given the invitation by Monsieur Peaud to join the whole family for a visit to his brother's. I wasn't sure at the time but perhaps I think I should take advantage of the opportunity. Last Saturday when I was with them, I was so tired because of the intense French-only communication, but as I've told the Peaud's, it is a satisfied kind of tired. I just wonder how they are going to fit me and the three other Peaud kids in one of those compacts! That reminds me that the oldest, Jean-Bapitist, came back to France from Morocco where he was in the middle of a project for his engineering studies. He comes home tomorrow as well as Mathile, the middle child and only daughter. I could also visit another out-of-the-way chateau perhaps as well on Sunday. I don't know. I'll see what gets assigned today in Literature and tomorrow's classes as well.


I've been making you all read a lot and I know this. For your patience with me, I present to you the grounds of my university for the semester!

Below here is the University Palace. Basically it is the main and central building. It is home to various classes, the Humanities Library, and a tiny cafeteria. As a side note, this photo was taken during a rare sunny moment. The weather is so somber here in the winter! Illinois is downright sunny in comparison.


Close-up of the door there.

They are also in the middle of rennovating much of the campus so the entrance inside the University Palace is a little less than joli, but you get the idea.

And here is my home away from home specifically on campus. Of course, it is the library.


So bizarre to see one's mother tongue in the foreign language section.



Here is the building I take almost all of my classes and where most language classes in general take place.





Well, I guess that is it for now! Time for class!

1 comment:

  1. I think it is a great plan to visit Peaud relatives on Saturday. This is the perfect opportunity to experience French culture and expand your language skills. I'm glad you've decided to go with them. You should have fun meeting extended family of your hosts.

    The pictures of UCO are wonderful. I love the old architecture exterior of the main building and beautifully modern interior. All the facilities appear quite nice.

    I'm glad your course selection is settled. It sounds like an interesting semester ahead. Happy studies and wishing you an enjoyable weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Angers, France

Angers, France

About Me

My photo
For this moment in time, I'll just share a quote from Nelson Mandela. I think it sums up what I'm experiencing right now. "If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart."