Tuesday, February 23, 2010

La Poste and American Things in France

It is funny how we can anticipate something to be very easy and end up being harder than we thought (please refer to "The Epic Battle Between My U.S. Debit Card and The European 'Chip and Pin' system""). Then there are the times when we are so sure that something is going to be complicated and it isn't at all. Finally, I had an experience like that yesterday. (Yes, I did have time to write yesterday but I had caught the lazy bug and watched Les Jeux Olypiques with my host family instead and ogling lean-muscled, pretty French skier boy, Vincent Jay).


I had three post cards to send out and I was absolutely certain there would something different about the French postal system that I'd have to wrap my head around and maybe buy 20 euros worth of stamps if I was lucky to get these stupid pieces of paper state-side! I went up to the very stern face French postal worker and quietly explained I wanted to send these postcards to the U.S. and would like to know what stamps I needed to buy. "Trois cartes-postales? Trois Marianne's." he simple replied and asked for 2,55 euros for the three Marianne's what is apparently a postal nickname for a standard French 0,85 euro stamp with the allegory of France, a rugged-looking woman named Marianne. Joy! I hope my recipients get there post cards without problem!


Also I have taken to also occupying myself with "American Things in France" of which I notice many. I figure not everyone is as fascinated with dogs or food as I am but they may take an interest in the enormous American influence here in France. Before I came here, I had an idea that my side of the world had an influence on the world. However, I couldn't really comprehend to what extent until now. It is both fun and terribly bizarre. There are times other American students and I experience what I call the "Alice in Wonderland Effect." It is all so familiar and yet NOT. So here is the beginning of what I hope is another interesting theme. For now, we have a couple of books.

Yes, it is Twilight. Yes, those are titles like Tentation and Hésitation. If you ask me, the French make Twilight sexy....I'll be waiting for those responses like "What?!? You thought it wasn't already sexy?" In a word, no. But that is neither here nor there now because with words like that, how can't it have just a little bit of sexiness à la Française? Hmm?

Of course, my French family was quick to make sure when the subject of Dan Brown came up that I didn't actually believe everything he wrote in the story about the Catholic Church and France. I was happy to tell them I didn't at all.


I've noticed that this is a hugely popular cookbook in stores at the moment. It is still fascinating to me that is a point of curiousity to the French that American breakfasts are as large as they are. The idea of a complete breakfast here is a croissant or other pastry and a chocolat (think super thick, creamy hot chocolate drink) or café. Thankfully, my host family has some other (and I think healthier) options to eat. Inside the book there is are recipes for pumpkin pie that tries to pass off as a Halloween tradition, Thanksgiving turkey, gumbo, and chili con carne among many, many others. On the chili note, every French person I've talked food with so far has been certain that chili con carne is the only kind of chili in existence and were shocked to learn that there are really hundreds of varieties usually based on household and region in the States. Yes, North American food may not include snails or goose liver but it can be complicated to comprehend and goes beyond le hamburger thank you very much!

All for now. Will come back with more!

3 comments:

  1. I guess the cultural marker of America is its diversity rather than a single identifying set of cultural markers. I continue to be amazed at regional differences just a few hours away from home base.

    So far it's a bit unnerving to realize exactly what parts of American culture seem to be wafting over there:)

    LOVE the post office photo!

    Think I need to post again as anonymous.
    Love, Aunt Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great blog, Elizabeth! I'm glad you're getting so much out of your experience and keep up the great posts.

    Wendy Williamson
    Director of Study Abroad

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are an excellent reporter/photographer, Liz. I look forward to catching up on your entries every couple of days. I really hope someone (perhaps your Mother?) is printing every entry and putting it into a file folder, or a binder, so that you will have a lasting record of this important life experience. Aunt Carole

    ReplyDelete

Angers, France

Angers, France

About Me

My photo
For this moment in time, I'll just share a quote from Nelson Mandela. I think it sums up what I'm experiencing right now. "If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart."