Sunday, March 21, 2010

Versailles: The Sun King's Domain


I first have to apologize because I think that I've been slacking on the blog updates. Perhaps appropriately enough at about the middle of my sejour I've hit a wall for my motivation that just really came out of nowhere. I don't plan for that that last long. I've still got a little over two months in France! Then, after that, there's "Elizabeth/Elizabet, Part 2" in England where I'm going to go back to being plain, ol' Elizabeth again and not be able to hear that charming inability for the French accent to pronounce the letter "H" in my name.

Concerning Versailles, it is absolutely essential to reserve an entire day to it at the very least. Now for everything I experienced, I can only say it with confidence for the base season which ends with the beginning of April. That is when the fountains turn on and the real tourist masses move in. I had chosen this time because right now one can experience high season weather at Versailles with base season prices and crowds. The biggest downside is that the fountains are not on yet and the famous Versailles Riding Academy is not open until May. I was already planning on being busy enough in May and I was able to make myself forget the fountains and get down to the essentials and I'm very satisfied with my choice.


Now, even though it was the Base Season, I made sure to get to the chateau first thing in the morning because:

1) I didn't finish until 3:15 in the afternoon (I started at nine. So that will give you an idea.)

2) The ticket people weren't in a hurry and after looking at my passport and my UCO student ID card, they let me visit everything (the Château, the Châteaux de Trianon, and the Domaine de Marie-Antoinette) for free where the base season price is really 19,50€.

3) The lines later on are then avoided with an early start as demonstrated in the pic below. Do note that the line doesn't stop at the building but continues on inward.



Always carrying one's passport and student ID card (the French one, not the American one) on a side note is incredibly useful for at least two reasons that I have learned from other foreign students and my own experiences.

1)The French police have the right to ask to see your passport/visa if you are a foreigner. If you're unable to produce such, they also have the right to arrest you. Enough said. This tends to be done (so I've heard) in a raid-like style but usually only occurs in places where there is a large concentration of people and a good number are likely to be foreign such as at clubs and bars. As I don't hang out a clubs and the bars I frequent are low key and have a strong local vibe, I've not come across this situation at this point and I hope I won't ever despite my legit status in France.

2) As demonstrated with the price I paid at Versailles, nothing, this was possible ONLY because of the materials I produced. I was also able to do the same thing at the Louvre and also got in for free. If not for free, it may also give you an unofficial reduced price. Even if the tarif sign doesn't say it, quietly show your card, look polite and friendly, and ask in your best French possible. Save money, carry your passport/student card...and a charming smile.

Back to Versailles....

The Mirror Gallery cannot be done justice with photos. It is one of those "you-just-have-to-be-there" sort of places. Truly impressive and my only wish would be to have the chance to just for one time walk the gallery by myself. I can't imagine how awe-inspiring it would be then.




Another favorite of mine became the Domain of Marie-Antoinette which consists of the Petit Trianon and the hameau where she would play shepherdess in with her ladies-in-waiting. The hameau or hamlet is all original and a bit like walking through the fun but fake villages of an amusement park. That is probably very appropirate because this was essentially the amusement park of a queen.






It was very amusing to walk through and watch kids play with the animals who reside in the hameau and observe the grumpy bunnies of Versailles. I do not know why or if they really were actually grumpy but it was rather humorous all the same to see something so cute and furry with a very jaded and annoyed face. The brown one, I swear, raised a bunny eyebrow as I was taking his/her picture. As you can see, I had a lot of fun with animals on this excursion.




The gardens in Marie-Antoinette's Domain were incrediably romantic and magical. If you go, walk through them and you will be glad you did. It is just too beautiful to miss really and surprisingly isolated from the crowds, too, so it may be also good to have a romantic interest with you as I came across all sorts of hidden spots where....well you can see where I'm going with this.


Finally, I had noticed Ford cars around Europe but hadn't come across a dealership until recently! The European Ford cars in my humble opinion don't resemble "real" American ones at all but resemble something like from a Toyota factory interestingly enough.


3 comments:

  1. It's good to have you posting again. The pictures of Versailles are lovely and support your narrative very well. I can understand your attraction to the animals and I liked your description of the hameau as the queen's amusement park! Thank you for taking us with you to all these fascinating attractions. You're doing the work, but I'm reaping the benefits through your blog. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz,
    I agree with your mom. You do the traveling and describing while i reap many benefits of your travel. Even Dennis is taking an interest in this trip:) I received your postcard last week and it's hanging at my new desk. Your enthusiasm shines all over this blog! The best part is that you take clear advantage (in the best sense) of your situation and waste not a minute. We love foreign films. I do not even remember if a film has subtitles any more... it's the story and details that hold my interest. Glad, always, to see a blog entry. Keep it up!!
    Love,
    Aunt Helen Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  3. Versailles is where the Kaiser's army surrendered in WWI. When the French surrendered to the Germans in 1940, the Krauts chipped a railroad car that the WWI treaty was signed in out of concrete and made the French sign the surrender documents in the railroad car.

    ReplyDelete

Angers, France

Angers, France

About Me

My photo
For this moment in time, I'll just share a quote from Nelson Mandela. I think it sums up what I'm experiencing right now. "If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart."