Monday, March 8, 2010

And Sunday Night When I Got Back


It felt neccessary to give this even its own post. When I returned to Angers, I had dinner with the Peauds. At dessert, Madame disappeared and returned with a chocolate Charlotte with twenty candles on it and everyone began singing Bon Anniversaire to me! It was one absolutely touching.



The Peauds even gave me another gift of a recipe book called Tante Marie. I had eariler expressed a wish to find a decent and basic French cookbook to start working with and exploring French cuisine. They told me that this book has been a part of French everyday cooking for decades and would be the best way to start. I even have an adorable cooking-themed French book mark for it.



Madame's mother who I had met two weeks ago for a very short visit sent a birthday card and a homemade travel sewing kit as she was very happy to meet a young mademoiselle who liked to work with her hands and since I seemed to be a true traveler to her, she felt something like this would serve me well.




Best 20th birthday ever. It would seem to be true that as the French say, this 20th year of my life is la belle âge.

3 comments:

  1. The Peaud family has been extremely thoughtful and kind. How lucky you have been to be placed in their home. Our sincere gratitude is extended across the ocean to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This morning I caught up on any posts I missed previously. There is no shortage of learning experiences or adventure. I love reading about what you are doing and what you are discovering. You will never forget these experiences and they will be part of what you know and how you approach new things for the rest of your life. Love and respect, Carole

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz,
    I have just caught up on your last several posts, and what a story!! Indeed you are a world traveler and problem solver for sure! How wonderful that so many wonderful folks appear in your life, but I know your efforts to speak French and immerse yourself in this culture are characteristics apparent to others, and greatly appreciated. What wonderful adventures! And happy birthday!
    Love,
    Aunt Helen
    (who finds it much easier to post as anonymous:)

    ReplyDelete

Angers, France

Angers, France

About Me

My photo
For this moment in time, I'll just share a quote from Nelson Mandela. I think it sums up what I'm experiencing right now. "If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart."