Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Happy Day at Chenonceau

Of course, it wasn't like the weekend was absolutely lost. Saturday was amazing and absolutely luxurious! Oh, I wouldn't trade discovering my favorite French chateau thus far for anything. I admit I got a little photo crazy.

First off, my hotel was wonderful. I stayed at the Relais, which isn't that much different than what else is offered in the villlage, but I felt I got a lot more for my money here than I could have anywhere else this time of year. Besides, the staff and the service was so great that that made every penny worth it.




My room was tiny but very cozy and comfortable. And as you can see, I got several things I was thankful for in Europe as a student....

1) A large, clean bed all to myself (emphasis on clean which I have heard doesn't always happen but I could be wrong)


2) I had an actual full-sized mirror to use for the first time in weeks (There's only one in my host family's home and it is in Madame's closet meaning only Madame uses it, of course.)


3) Cable TV all to myself and on César Night no less (That would be the France's Oscar Night)

4) I got a four course steak dinner and full breakfast included in my stay. (The fries were not an intentional order. I'm finding fries to be eaten here more than back home and we love fries. It is rather scary in that sense.)

5) There was a bathroom and it was just for me!


6)And it wasn't just a shower. And it had constant streaming hot water! That was heaven. The shower in my host family's house produces lukewarm at the hottest which for someone like me is like bathing in ice water. However, I have adapted a little to it.


The chateau is currently under restoration so not everything is as joli-looking as it usually is but I think you can appreciate it anyway. To me, it was the gardens and the rooms that really make up Chenonceau and not the fact that it is practically built on a bridge.









While I was over there I ran into a CIDEF tour of some of the chateaus and met up with Heidi! It was great to see one of my classmates so randomly like that.


One of the best parts about the chateau to me, besides its strong feminine history, is that fact that the staff takes great pride in the fresh flower displays in almost all the chambers. They are uniquely well known for this in the French chateau tourism business as the staff told me while I was visiting/ problem-solving with them on Sunday.




Of course, I can't help but leave you with a pic of one of my favorite historic women, Catherine de Medici, a feisty Italian gal who knew what she wanted and how to get it.


Wonderful day.

1 comment:

  1. This definitely shows you had a great day before the storm! Again, the pictures are beautiful and I always appreciate seeing you. The flower arrangements are spectacular, right along with the furnishings and chateau itself.

    ReplyDelete

Angers, France

Angers, France

About Me

My photo
For this moment in time, I'll just share a quote from Nelson Mandela. I think it sums up what I'm experiencing right now. "If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart."