Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Peanut Butter vs. the French. Oh, and International Day

Had a fun but busy day yesterday "sharing" American culture with a bunch of other fellow Americans at UCO's semester-ly Journée Internationale. Curtesy of Heidi who didn't forget her camera that day, I actually do have photos.


The American booth contained a slide show of several hundred photos from all around the States, various red, white, and blue decorations (stars included), a U.S. map showing where we're all from....

And samples of PB & J



The French are intersting and just plain fun to watch as they encounter peanut butter. To them, it is this crazy, exotic American thing. I do not kid when I say that almost every French student that came up to us at first gave a strange look and then looked amazing and shocked when we explained it was peanut butter and strawberry "jelly." In France there is only really confiture which is jam in our vocabulary. The idea of other ways to preserve fruits like in the form of jelly and marmalade is rather nonexistant.

The typical French college student has almost never had peanut butter before and considers it incrediably American and fattening and therefore not cool to eat. This is according to my host family's daughter who is my same age. Though I didn't say this, I find it weird that something would be considered American and fattening and therefore not cool to eat in France when McDonald's is more popular here than back home, Lady Gaga is like the new Virgin Mary, and Nutella, which actually has more calories than peanut butter, is eaten by EVERYONE, including my host family's daughter. Yet, poor peanut butter is looked down upon nevertheless.

After several reassuances and a couple of sniffs, almost everyone who came to our booth tried the peanut butter and said usually something like, "Well, it is certainly different! Wow, it is strong." I can't imagine what they thought at the Mexican booth. They had Jalopenos to sample.

Food was everywhere and free so I had the best lunch I've had since coming here! Omlettes over in "Japan," cheese and chocolate in "France," yogurt in "Holland," and a lot of I-don'tknow-what-it-is-but-it-sure-tastes-good from Poland, Thailand, and Korea were all there and it was just simply so good!





The day ended with the Americans showing off "mad dancing skills" including the electirc slide and, to the French's delight, "Thriller." They really, really love Michael Jackson, too.

6 comments:

  1. Peanut butter is so good for you cause just a little is so protein packed. Stupid French. You know who also loves peanut butter? The Haitians. And they blend in hot peppers in their peanut butter.

    I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked looking at the map and identifying the states from which the 20 Americans in your program are fun. I'm glad Heidi remembered her camera and that you added your words to complete the story for us. I liked those who wore shirts from their states. Go Cubs! Fun event. Simple but clever to serve P&J sandwiches, and truly American!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cards rule Cubs drool.
    Completely
    Useless
    Bum
    Suckers

    ReplyDelete
  4. The store near my house has "american" PB. Crunchy and smooth. Which do you prefer? I have never heard of the brand name before, but it is actually made in the states.
    PS Student IDs are very usefull in Germany, too.

    Love, Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leave it to Ryan to notice your cubs t-shirt. What an interesting event Liz. Amazing that there are those unfamiliar with peanut butter. Love the photos. You are probably on your way to Normandy today. We will all look forward to your report. .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Liz,
    I love the PBJ story but can't help wondering about peanut allergies (says the former elementary teacher). I know consumption early in life aggravates some allergies so maybe the French are spared:). And anyway Nutella has nuts:) LOVE your blog!
    Aunt Helen

    ReplyDelete

Angers, France

Angers, France

About Me

My photo
For this moment in time, I'll just share a quote from Nelson Mandela. I think it sums up what I'm experiencing right now. "If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart."