Saturday, April 24, 2010

Spring Vacation Review (part 1, Transportation, An Adventure in Inself)

Oh, goodness. What a vacation. Both relaxing and sometimes high-pressured, out of nine individual trains three were canceled due to the strike still going on and that continued during the Iceland volcano chaos. The volcano never once affected my two weeks of vacation save giving something to watch on CNN and a reason for an Irishman on one of my trains to call me a “f**king yank.” In his defense he said it with a very Irish, very charming smile.
Thankfully when I did run into problems the ticket people of France are amongst the quickest working and creative of problem solvers I’ve come across. There was an estimation given to me by one in Nîmes that there’s some sort of strike every month. I think it could be assumed that they are used to working around this sort of thing. I remain glad that such a reputation stays in France all the same.

In the meantime, as my time traveling was nothing compared to the rest of the world I took photos. The appropriateness of it, I don't know but after being in train stations during times of clam and then suddenly those chaotic times, it was a wonder for me to observe all the lines and craziness.
Strasbourg was so full on the inside, people were even waiting outside of the train station so as not to be too crowded in.


Of course, I had to notice that humans weren't the only ones in the middle of the problems. Dogs had to be delayed form just getting home as well.


So really that covers it on the transportation side of things. Thank you all for thoughts, prayers, encouraging words, everything!.

1 comment:

  1. I'm enjoying to again see the photos to match your stories,though your writing has been very descriptive. I don't think there is a transportation issue that can bother you after all of this. You simply have learned to "go with the flow," ask questions and be creative when you can. A good life's lesson when traveling.

    ReplyDelete

Angers, France

Angers, France

About Me

My photo
For this moment in time, I'll just share a quote from Nelson Mandela. I think it sums up what I'm experiencing right now. "If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart."