Monday, April 19, 2010

Being in Strasbourg

Well, it has been interesting for me in traveling recently with this Iceland volcano business going on. As the Internet that I’m able to get right now is really weak compared to what I’m used to, I’m a little hesitant in uploading pics of Baden-Baden at the moment. I want to be able to at least contact people via e-mail, Facebook, and all that good stuff so I’m currently holding off on trying anything that might tax it.

I arrived last night from Germany into Strasbourg, France. My train was over ten minutes late due to what I understand as Europe’s sudden influx of train travelers right now. I will be taking my very first overnight train tonight. Should be very interesting under the current circumstances.

For those of you who haven’t heard about the volcano exploding over in Iceland, I highly suggest looking into it. It has truly affected all of Europe and the rest of the world in many ways. Many project that this will slow the current economic recovery that Europe was just starting. Everyday, airlines lose millions in profit and any other business dependant on transportation is put on hold as well.

In the meantime, the people I am meeting on my travels have become more interesting. On the train back to France, I meet up with a group of travelers who kind of just banded together with the only commonality of trying to get to London. There was a Croatian, an Irishman, a Polish woman and her French Canadian husband. I introduced myself as I could have either creepily listened in on everything or just made myself open. They asked me where I was from and where I was going. I told them I came from the States but I’m not going back until July. The Irish guy shook his head and called me a Yank with a cursing adjective…okay, a couple of cursing adjectives. He was actually a charming person, just colorful.

I hope to take in a general view of Strasbourg today, continue reading the books I need for this coming summer session in England in seven weeks, maybe find a local brew. Jessica got me turned on to European micro-brews., particularly this one from her hometown called “Der Vogel.” I probably butchered that spelling and I hope the German speakers with forgive and correct me. The trick will just be getting a hold of the stuff in the States. In my exploration of beer in Europe, it is my favorite so far. I can’t drink Kronenbourg so contently ever again.

My sympathies and best of luck to all who are just trying to get home right now. As a fellow traveler, my heart is with you.

2 comments:

  1. Elizabeth: your willingness to try a variety of customs to which we are unfamiliar in the states amazes me. Have safe journies considering the volcano issue. We have been watching the media reports with interest and hope the entire thing is cleared up before you find yourself in need of air transport

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am enjoying your stories of people, experiences and places. Your travels are full of little twists and turns that are fun to follow. I admire your spirit of adventure and your appreciation of the varied people you encounter. Looking forward to your next entry...

    ReplyDelete

Angers, France

Angers, France

About Me

My photo
For this moment in time, I'll just share a quote from Nelson Mandela. I think it sums up what I'm experiencing right now. "If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart."