Thursday, January 21, 2010

Math and Fog

Ugh, so I have about ten days until I leave for France and I’m feeling the pressure to get things ready, get things ready right, and doing all of this with a cool head while it seems the world is losing theirs.

I just got off the phone with Study Abroad at EIU. My bill for this semester is making no sense. My total costs amount to less than $1,000 yet the total at the bottom says over $3,000. What? I checked again and again and nowhere did any of the numbers match up. Then the other day, I received a huge check in the couple thousands from EIU, saying just that it was a “tuition refund.” Again, I’m left with a “huh?” reaction. So the Study Abroad coordinator was unavailable for the moment and I can only hope this is nothing serious and there are a bunch of other numbers being processed out there that I just can’t see and make sense of this seemingly faulty math work.

A more insignificant but disappointing point is that I don’t know if or when my London Fog trench coat will be ready for France. My seamstress (brilliant, brilliant woman) lives in Jacksonville so of course I’ve asked Mom to take it into town. The trouble with having a school administrator for a mother is that they can get very busy, very stressed, and very forgetful especially during the weeks that education consultants come in.

However, one of the consultants this week is good to have around for Mom in my opinion since they get along so well. The Illinois School for the Deaf’s reading consultant is a smart, charming professor from DePaul and I’m hoping Dad doesn’t try to forbid me from going up North this evening to have dinner with her. The weather may be mercifully getting warmer but that also means potato soup fog. Ha! London Fog and Illinois fog are both problems for me! Besides deer, fog of any kind is one of the things guaranteed to make my father overly worried.

Here’s hoping for a smooth (fog-less) departure in ten days….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Angers, France

Angers, France

About Me

My photo
For this moment in time, I'll just share a quote from Nelson Mandela. I think it sums up what I'm experiencing right now. "If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart."